Tips For Enjoying Younger Looking Skin
Here are a handful of things you can start doing right now to improve the look, tone and feel of your skin.
- Exercise regularly. Exercising regular is one of the best ways to keep yourself looking younger because it boosts circulation, which enhances overall health, adds nice color to your cheeks, and helps to keep your lymph system moving so the body can release stored toxins. Beware, however, of losing too much weight. Work with a personal trainer or nutritionist to establish what your personal, healthy, target weight should be based on your body type, height, lifestyle, genetics, etc. Losing too much weight can actually make your skin look older because the skin sags and loses the elasticity that is typical of more youthful skin.
- Protect yourself from the elements. If your exercise time finds you spending a generous amount of time outdoors, good for you! Being out in nature is beneficial for your physical, mental and emotional health. That being said, the great outdoors also exposes your delicate skin layers to UV rays and the wind, both of which can damage skin.
First, and most importantly, protect your skin from the sun. If you can stand it, cover your skin as much as you can from head to toe in seasonally appropriate clothing. In the summer months, take advantage of light-weight, breathable and reflective materials that protect you from the sun while also keeping you cooler.
If you can’t stand to be covered up, always apply sunscreen to exposed parts of the body. Remember that even “water-” and “sweat-resistant” versions should still be reapplied every two hours or so for maximum benefit.
Use hats, sunglasses and other seasonally appropriate gear for further protection from the elements. Also, use a moisturizer after you shower to trap moisture inside the skin.
- Eat healthy and increase superfood consumption. A healthy diet is integral to your physical health – and that includes healthy skin. Eating healthy, and focusing on superfoods, means your body has natural access to all the vitamins and minerals it needs, and you’ll also benefit from anti-oxidants, which fight the free radicals that cause cells to age faster. Some of the best anti-aging foods include things like oats and other whole grains, oranges (vitamin C!), avocados, lean, grass-fed beef, cruciferous vegetables, salmon and grapes.
- Focus on an anti-inflammatory diet. Inflammation is designed to help and heal. Unfortunately, when the body’s inflammatory response goes into chronic overdrive, it compromises your health in numerous ways. One of the best ways to enjoy a more healthy lifestyle is to shift into a diet that is full of the foods we listed above, and avoid foods and additives that are known to exacerbate inflammation. Read, Aging Gracefully…Anti-Inflammatory Diet, to learn more .
- Add Yoga, Tai Chi or other mind-body practices to the mix. Stress takes its toll on the body and your skin. The more you learn to reduce and manage stress in your life, the younger and less-worried you will appear. Practices such as yoga and Tai Chi are great ways to gain flexibility and strength while also practicing breathing and mindfulness tools that will help you both in and out of the gym.
The more you take a holistic approach to your health and fitness plan, the younger your skin will look.