Now is the perfect time to ensure that you and your family are prepared to spend a fun, safe vacation or fun time by the water. Enroll in age-appropriate swim lessons and follow important safety rules whenever you are in, on or around water:
- Swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards
- Always swim with a buddy
- Never leave a young child unattended near water
- Have young children or inexperienced swimmers wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets around water, but do not rely on life jackets alone
- Establish water safety rules for your family and enforce them without fail
- If you go boating, wear a life jacket! Most boating fatalities occur from drowning
- Avoid alcohol use. Alcohol impairs judgment, balance, and coordination; affects swimming and diving skills; and reduces the body’s ability to stay warm
Take a minute today to sign up for a swimming course and review water safety tips before summer arrives.
American Family Fitness provides an array of American Red Cross classes year round including:
- Learn to Swim Course
- Preschool Aquatics (Swimming Course for Children)
- Parent and Child Aquatics
- Safety Training for Swim Coaches and Instructors
For more information regarding swim lessons or any of our American Red Cross courses, click here.
Debbi MooreDirector of Aquaticsdmoore@amfamfit.com