To schedule your VO2 Max Test, click below.
Frequently Asked Questions
A VO2 Max Assessment is a fitness test that determines the maximum amount of oxygen a person can use during intense exercise. It is considered the gold standard for determining cardiovascular fitness and aerobic endurance.
A VO2 Max assessment can help a person determine the most efficient workout intensities to improve endurance, lose weight or increase sustainable speed while avoiding overtraining.
Getting an accurate test result requires an all-out effort on a treadmill or stationary bike while wearing a face mask that collects and analyzes all inspired and expired air.
Prior to testing, there is a physical activity readiness questionnaire and consent form that is required. If you have any identified risks, physician’s consent may be required. Age greater than 69 years requires physician consent.
Please follow these guidelines for the most accurate test results:
- Wear loose fitting clothes (jogging attire, shorts, training shoes, etc.)
- Avoid eating or drinking for 3 hours before your test.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco, and coffee for at least 3 hours before your test.
- Avoid exercising on the same day prior to your assessment. Exercise elevates your blood pressure and resting heart rate, which will invalidate your results. You may exercise after you have completed the assessment.
- Try to get a good night’s sleep the night before your test.
- Please inform a member of staff if you are suffering from any acute respiratory infection or related condition.
We offer VO2 Max testing at the American Family Fitness Short Pump location. To request an appointment:
- Complete a nutrition form online at:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an appointment or call American Family Fitness Short Pump at (804) 364-1200 and ask for Pam Speich, Director of Nutrition Services. If Pam is not available, please leave a message and she will return your call as soon as possible.
Yes, we offer member and non-member pricing options. However, now is a great time for members and non-members to schedule a VO2 Max Assessment because our current summer promotion of $99 is available to members and non-members through August 31, 2019.